Request: Forest Online Storage Locker

chombee

Request: Forest Online Storage Locker

Post by chombee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Hey, I have my hands full with the website so if anyone could do this research for me that would be great!

We really need an online storage space to keep a lot of Forest files: source files for logos and posters, photos, PDFs like the Press Pack. I'm thinking about the kind of stuff that is useful for anyone working on a Forest website or a document like the Press Pack and that sort of thing, but I'm sure there are other files that we need somewhere to store/backup as well. It is really a lot of work right now to find stuff and to find out who made things and then get the source files of them. The bb doesn't seem to be very good, it's hard to find old stuff even if it was posted.

I think we need:
  • * Simple web form to browse, download and upload files.
    * Reliable and safe.
    * Lots of space.
    * We probably need different levels of access. Need To Know files, Public files that anyone can browse and download, some people can only read files but others can write files as well.
    * Access over ssh, ftp, etc. would be good for the geeks, and for making our own home backups with rsync.
A Forest dropbox account is a possible option. You get 2GB for free, can get 50GB for $9.99. You wouldn't need to install Dropbox on your computer, just get the forest login and password and access it through the Dropbox website. BUT I think Dropbox falls short on the ssh/ftp/etc and probably on the permissions also. Alternatives?

It could be an online service provided by a company either free or paid, or maybe it could be something installed on forest.org.uk (how much space do we have there?)

I have collected a lot of files already and there are many more to be found. It'd be great if someone could look into this for me!
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ChaoticReality

Re: Request: Forest Online Storage Locker

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

The forest webserver: 7830.22 / 12000 MB (Used/Total)
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Of the space that's used, a large part of it is old images and mp3s, so the index could easily start with them.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Sounds like a good place to start
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:53 am

I'll see what I can do.
Mike